Saturday, November 5, 2011

Apologies From A Frustrated Ace

So I once again must send out my apologies for a lack of recent updates. I am currently experiencing a problem with my computer dealing with "unknown networks" and "no valid IP address" being found that is essentially blocking me from getting online. I have spent some time researching the problem and have essentially learned that it is fairly common in the world of Windows PCs and there are multiple fixes being thrown around. As of typing this message (early Saturday morning) I have tried about half of them with no success. All this just makes it more obvious that I will need to eventually make the switch to Apple products when I have the cash.

I am going to keep at it, but for the time being I am giving up. I have a lot to do today, and I can't spend all my time trying to track down issues with my computer or my router or whatever. Somehow the wireless on my phone still works easily, which is what leads me to believe the problem lies either in the computer or the router. I am hoping I don't have to buy a new router, because that would be just one more expense I really can't afford in a long list of horrible expenses. I am hoping that if all my attempts fail, a quick call to my Internet Service Provider will reset my IP address and save the day.

For you techies that read my blog, I opened command prompt and ran ipconfig and saw that my current IP is a 169.254.x.x number, which I understand to be a problem...and also a unreal IP number. I also tried releasing and renewing in ipconfig, but it says it can't contact my DHCP server. I have tried accessing my router, but the numbers you usually type in to do so aren't opening my router functions. It isn't a firewall issue and I do not believe I have a virus (though it is conceivable). Any tech help I can get at this point would be splendid.

Again, sorry that this is happening. Posting from my phone is not fun for me and I am sure it is not fun for any of you. I wish I could solve this problem quicker than I am currently. But right now I am tired and must heave a great "le sigh" and flop into my bed. Hope this gets fixed soon.

-Ace

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ace -

    An IP starting with 169.254 is what's called an autoconfig IP. It's an address that your wireless card gives itself as a last-ditch effort to connect you when nothing else works. If you haven't already, unplug your router from its power supply, count to 10, then plug it back in. Reboot your computer and it should connect to your wireless network.

    If not, disable your wireless card (most laptops have a switch or button that will do this) and plug into your router with a cable. You should then be good to go. Access your router as usual.

    I'm guessing that part of the problem is either radio interference or you're running a wireless network with the same network name as a neighbor's. Try going into your router and changing the wifi channel to something besides the common ones of 1, 6, and 11. Also change your network name if you are still using the manufacturer's default name. Lastly, it's a good idea to activate wireless encryption if you haven't - WPA2 is best, and any electronics made in the last 3-4 years will support it. You'll need to re-add your electronic devices to the new wireless network.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Thanks for the help! I will try all that when I get home today. I should tell you that the computer I am having the problem with is a desktop connected to the router with a wire. Don't think that makes a difference to what you suggested, but just to be safe.

    -Ace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, OK. Then it seems like a router hiccup. They happen not infrequently. If you haven't tried unplugging and re-plugging the router, I'm 95% sure that'll fix things. Reboot the computer too, after the router is back up. And forget what I said about wireless networks.

    If that doesn't fix it, the next step is to ensure that your computer is still set to get all its network settings through DHCP. If it is, then the problem is either with Windows network management (not likely) or with the router (much more likely).

    In either case, you can manually set an IP address on your computer that will work with the router. This will at least let you get into the router to figure out what's wrong.

    Apple products are not a panacea. They hiccup just as much as anything else. They just tend to be easier to set up and get working in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,

    Thanks again. I wish I was still at my apartment and could try this all out now, but it will sadly have to wait. I feel reasonably sure it is the router too. It is an older one, and not exactly the best. I will do my best to keep you informed when I am able to get home and work on a fix.

    And I agree about Apple not curing all. I said that around 3am in a moment of tired anger. If anything I usually am the one speaking against the switch to Apple.

    Thanks again!
    -Ace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck, Ace. We'll have our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when computer issue come up since you feel so helpless on what to do.

    Hope it all works out ok for you.

    ReplyDelete