Friday, December 23, 2011

Festivus (for the rest of us)

Festivus Pole: No tinsel, no problem.


Today is December 23, and you know what that means: Time to break out the Festivus pole, air your grievances, and challenge others to feats of strength. For those of you who are slightly confused about what I mean when I say Festivus, you can click here to read up on the fake and fun holiday. Basically, it is a fake holiday that became popular after appearing in Seinfeld, and is supposed to represent a holiday for those of us who are sick and tired of (or maybe just too poor to take a part in) the over commercialization of the current December holidays. While it was first introduced to me as a joke by my father and my father's family (none of which I ever saw watching Seinfeld, so that confused me a bit in later years), I actually enjoy the socio-economic statement behind the humor. I mean, this year I saw Christmas decorations out before Halloween had gone by. That has to be pushing things a bit much. It reminds me of the old Charlie Brown Easter special when they go to the mall and there are already signs up about shopping for the next Christmas. But Christmas isn't the only offender. Most major religions have holidays this time of year, and most of the symbolism of those holidays in lost in consumerism. I'm not objecting to that, I happen to like being a consumer, I find it interesting. I mean, when you take a step back and look at it, what does it really say about our culture?

But enough of the deep, meaningful thought-thinking and what-not. Festivus is a day of fun and revelry, and also a day of realizing that you still haven't sent out those Christmas cards and you STILL have no idea what to buy for your mother. Or maybe that is just me. I get a little slack this year because I was without a job for six months while still paying for college, my rent, and other living expenses, so no one is really expecting much from me, but I know plenty other people who are last minute shoppers. In fact, I spent all day yesterday, and will spend all day today (and maybe even tomorrow) selling to them at my job. Let me tell you: it is constant go, go, GO this time of year when you work at a cash register. For my fellow retail workers, shall we all grab our swollen feet and cry together when the holidays are finally over?

In case I don't have a chance to post any more before the holidays are done with, I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry Yule, and Glorious Festivus. Thank you so much to the readers who have sent me gifts so far! I have really been enjoying piling the boxes and packages up in anticipation of opening them. Those of you who want to buy me something while the winter holiday sales are still in effect, can check out my Amazon wishlist for some ideas (and don't worry about trying to get it shipped before Christmas). I also love emails, Facebook messages, Tweets, and comments. Be sure and have happy and safe holidays everyone!

-Ace

3 comments:

  1. Your Festivus pole makes that Charlie Brown christmas tree look good.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone every day.

    Follow our trades right now & make up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be eligible to receive a $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete