Sunday, January 8, 2012

First Formspring of the New Year

As part of my whole "get back into the swing of blogging" kick I'm on these days, I am officially doing my first Formspring post of 2012. I hope we are all enjoying the new year so far, and I hope that everyone who made resolutions (honestly, I never do) haven't given up on them yet. Anyone make any good resolutions? I know some people who yearly resolve to work out more and then quit by the end of January. I myself am thinking of starting up p90x again, but that is pretty time-consuming so I'm not sure yet. I might try something else.

Also, for those of you wondering if I went to the leather meeting at the bar last night, the answer is yes. And for those of you wondering how it was, don't worry, there will be a full report waiting for you in my blog soon. I will say that I haven't had a chance to enjoy so many sexy leather men in various states of undress ever in my life. I certainly had plenty of fun images to take home with me.

Anyway, on to the questions! As always, if you would like, you can ask me anything on Formsrping (whether or not you're a member) or send me some questions in an email. I really enjoy answering them because it gives me a chance to sort of open up a side of me that would show if all I ever posted about was my sex life. So keep them coming, and I'll keep answering them.

(I apologize for the way the font is all messed up for these questions. I'm not sure why it looks like this and editing the font doesn't seem to change anything. I'm giving up for now.)


Someone older and wiser once claimed that effective artists, in their personal lives, "wallow in excess". Do you agree, disagree, or reserve judgment?

That is a really interesting quote and I would be interested in learning who said it. I think what the quote may be saying that we creatives suffer from excessive personal lives that can actually be a detriment to our work. But I suppose it could be saying that every creative person has something they do to excess. Either way I definitely know some people who fill those roles. But I don't see anything wrong with excess. It is when we let it control us that we have problems.

Is it possible to create something without destroying something else, be it a thing, an idea, or an old order?

I would say yes, unless you think change is equivalent to destruction. I think you can create by building off of what others have done. I don't believe in originality. There is no way to argue that you have come up with a totally unique work of art.

Have you ever dated an FTM?

Yes I have. It was only for a short while, but yep. Gay man trapped in a woman's body.

Is it always easier to destroy rather than create?

I guess that would depend on what you made it out of in the first place and how strong your will to destroy was compared to your will to create. I don't want to make a dichotomy between people here, but there are definitely those who are better and more excited doing one over the other.

Do you think France is wrong to ban the burka?

Oh, definitely. I think it is one thing to pass a law saying you can't force a woman to wear one, and another thing entirely to pass one saying she absolutely can't. That goes beyond helping a perceived injustice to women and defeats its own purpose by being just as restrictive as the problem it was trying to solve. Plus, I can't see it as anything more than another case of anti-Muslim attitudes that (so I have seen) are pretty rampant in France.

When you write, do you work from an outline, a synopsis, or just go for it?

For the most part I just go for it. Most of the time when I write, there is some force pushing me to write, be it a scene, a line, or just an image, and I hold on to that thing and begin writing. Eventually, when you look at that thing long enough, the story begins to form around it. At least, that's how it works with me. I have heard others say the same, though, so I think I'm in good company.

Do you prefer digital or analog clocks? Why do you prefer one over the other?

I prefer clocks that are correct and near by at all times. I have a distinct lack of clocks in my life, other than my alarm clock, so I kind of use my watch and cell phone more than anything else. I certainly don't mind analog clocks, and I don't mind digital ones. Except I hate that my current alarm clock's digital time is in bright blue and can keep me up at night.

What are some of things you feel you couldn't live without?

Internet, definitely, though I can go without it for extended periods of time (a few days) and not have a problem. I might even find it comfortable. But I do need some form of entertainment, whether it is TV, movies, a book, the internet, my cell phone, a notebook, anything. I don't tend to enjoy long moments where I'm not doing anything unless I'm sleeping or meditating.

Do you have a passport?

Yes. I've been out of the country a few times and needed it for a secondary ID a few times as well.

What's the longest you've ever gone without taking a shower?

A few days at a time. I think four might be my most. Usually if I'm skipping a shower it is because a guy asked me to or I'm too tired to take one before bed. I do go long times between washing my hair, however. There are plenty of times when I should wash it, but I don't have the time or energy to do so. I have gone entire weeks without opening a bottle of shampoo. 

On "wallowing in excess": The quote is from a PR/publishing/advertising consultant I knew at work. The thought was hers. She made the observation with regard to Truman Capote and all good artists.

Ah. A very interesting quote and one that certainly fits Capote and his contemporaries. I once dealt with a professor who somewhat idolized Capote the way some idolize Che Guevara.

2 comments:

  1. boy made a resolution but it has more to do with Sir than with boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete