Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pardon the Interruption

I have to apologize to my readers. I know on Sunday's post I said I was trying to get back into things and get posting regularly again, but then I didn't. It isn't that I don't have anything to post about, but I've been having trouble getting the time to post. And it isn't because I'm incredibly busy this week either. It is more of a sleep deprivation issue. As in, I haven't been sleeping much recently. Much at all. And it isn't that I'm not tired, I am. But I find myself lying awake at night wondering why I haven't fallen asleep, staring at my ceiling or my clock or watching something on YouTube or Netflix on my cellphone just to try and shut myself off for the night. And yet I have recently watched 4am, 5am, and even once 6am drift past me as I waited for sleep to arrive.

Then I sleep through my alarm and don't wake up until noon or later. Always exhausted. Always hungry and thirsty. And always pissed off at myself for letting so much of the day go by. And every time I don't fall asleep I get frustrated and angry with myself (even though I know it isn't my fault). I get forced to speed through my morning routine and then tackle what I had planned for the day in a shortened amount of time. As much as I like to think that things can be done on unusual schedules, I'm increasingly finding that when you've decreased the hours your awake during the general work day down to 3-5, you really run the risk of not getting anything done that you needed to.

And this has been going on for way too long with me. I get close to making it better, but then something happens and I'm stuck lying awake at night again. Well, yesterday after waking up around 12:30pm, I decided that enough was enough was too much (as the father owl in that old Merrie Melodies cartoon "I Love to Singa" would say). On the suggestion of a few of my friends, I'm trying out a melatonin supplement, which is supposed to be a natural way to make me sleep. I don't know how effective it will be or how long it will keep me out (everyone says it was safe and wouldn't keep me out long), but I'm hoping it will get me to sleep and let me be rested enough to wake up when I want to in the morning. And hopefully, after a few days, my sleep schedule will be reset and I will be back in business and not so constantly pissed off at myself.

It has even gotten in the way of me having sex recently. I've always made it a rule for myself that I don't put aside important things in order to have sex. But when I'm not finishing my important stuff until dinner time, that is kind of hard to do. So while I have had some good times recently, I haven't had nearly as much as I could have if I had more time. I've also missed out on movies and meeting people. I've been a bit of a hermit recently. I've even pulled away from online interactions, letting my Facebook, Twitter, and even my emails get a bit behind and out of control. But sleep problems can do that to you, I guess.

So anyway, here's hoping this plan works. I'm trying not to be skeptical. And if everything works out I should be back to my regular, mostly cheery self in no time. I apologize for being withdrawn, but hopefully that will be over and done with soon. Thanks for understanding.

-Ace

7 comments:

  1. Things that can effect sleep are eating late at night, drinking caffeine in the evening, being to stimulated prior to bedtime, never do anything in bed besides sleep (no tv/reading/etc). Turn off your phone/computer before going to bed or at least don't use the phone for anything if it must be kept on.

    Always thirsty is a big red flag regarding your health.

    Above is all stuff I've read about or seen on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a problem with being too mentally stimulated right before bed, but I'm not sure how to fix that. As for the thirsty thing, I think that has more to do with me not waking up until almost 12 hours after I first lie down. Since I'm not drinking at all during that time, I get dehydrated. It doesn't happen when I get regular sleep.

      -Ace

      Delete
  2. Stress and anxiety also lead to a lack of sleep. Unfortunately being upset over lack of sleep only exacerbates the problem.. you could try ferretting out some of the stresses in your life, it couldn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get rid of some of my stress...I just don't know how!

      -Ace

      Delete
  3. Ace,

    Completely understand. Working third shift for over a year and I still haven't completely adjusted since I am such an early morning riser and get more accomplished in the morning than the afternoon.

    For example this week after each night I have worked so far I have gotten only 4 hours of sleep. I wake up and can't go back to sleep. Then I lay on the couch watching daytime TV hoping it will induce sleep. It hasn't...and my butt is dragging.

    The other thing I have noticed is I am gaining weight again and that pisses me off. I am hopeful for change soon so I can get back into a normal routine of life.

    I hope you get some normal sleep soon and I do miss reading your post on Twitter and your blog but you got to take care of you before all of that.

    (((HHUUGGSS)))

    VRPB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we both can fall back into a healthy sleep cycle. For our sake and our weight (mine's gone up a bit too). And it is amazing how much you just don't feel like doing when you're tired.

      And thanks for the hugs!

      -Ace

      Delete